This week Kingsbury Companies LLC began temporary drawdown for the Goose Pond Dam Improvements Project. Kingsbury Companies is under contract with the City to perform upgrades to the Goose Pond Dam, Goose Pond Dike, associated access trails, and a new parking area on new East Surry Road.
The total depth of drawdown is approximately 4 feet. The drawdown will help ensure the stability of the dam and dike embankments while they are under construction. We recommend that park users not venture off trails into the dewatered portions of the pond. The makeup of the soils in these areas is unknown. Walking across them may result in becoming stuck or loss of personal property.
A temporary walkway is now installed near the Dike area. This will allow park users to continue access to the trail here while the embankment is under construction.
Work at Goose Pond is expected to last the duration of the summer and fall. As you visit Goose Pond this season, we recommend the following safety precautions:
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Limit headphone use.
- Follow all posted trail detours and signage. These are installed in strategic areas to allow park use to continue during construction.
- Wear brightly-colored or reflective clothing if available.
- Keep dogs on-leash.
- Limit biking speed on the trails around and near the dam and dike.
- Do not assume that an equipment operator can see you. Many pieces of construction equipment have blind spots that limit operator visibility.
While we have made efforts to ensure the safety of park users during construction, no plan is perfect. If you notice a safety concern or have any questions regarding this post, please call our office at (603) 352-6550. Thank you in advance for your patience.