Summer is here! And at the Keene Public Library, that means that you can meet reading goals, earn prizes, complete fun at-home activities, and dig deeper into the vast world of knowledge while participating in our annual Summer Reading and Learning Program. There is something fun for everyone this summer at the library! Whether you read or listen to fiction, nonfiction, or a little of both, sign up and join in!
How Summer Reading Works:
We have four separate programs:
You can choose the one that fits you best. By logging, minutes read, and activities completed, you earn virtual badges. You will also win a prize for reading at least 15 hours and completing some fun discovery and investigation activities this summer!
Programs will be offered virtually and in-person in our Courtyard and other outdoor locations. Visit https://keenepubliclibrary.evanced.info/signup/calendar for a calendar of events.
The last day of our Summer Reading & Learning Clubs will be August 15th!
Taking time to read is good for everyone, but summer reading is especially crucial for children. Students who don't read during summer can face summer learning loss. By joining the Summer Reading and Learning Club and attending free library programs, kids can prevent this from happening.
Reading expert Stephen Krashen says:
• Children read more when they listen to and discuss books.
• Reading skills grow by reading.
• Reading helps improve children’s writing.
During the summer months:
• Read to young children daily.
• Read a chapter book to your school-age children by reading aloud one or two chapters every day.
• Encourage your children to spend time reading and looking at books.
• Talk with your children about what they are reading.
• Ask your library about programs for children.