FAQ's About City Clerk Functions

Q: What are the City Clerk's business hours?

A: The City Clerk is open 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.

Q: When do I license my dog?

A: All dogs are required to be licensed after they receive their first rabies shot, usually between 3 and 7 months. Dog licenses expire on April 30th each year and must be renewed to avoid a civil forfieture fine. Visit our Dog Licensing Page for more information.

Q: How do I get a Marriage License?

A: The bride and groom must appear before a city or town clerk anywhere in the State of New Hampshire and must be married in the state of New Hampshire. There is a $50.00 fee. Identification is required in the form of a driver's license, passport or birth certificate. The Keene City Clerk's office only requires a driver's license. If it is not a first marriage a certified copy of a divorce decree or death certificate must be provided as appropriate. There is no waiting period in New Hampshire and the marriage license is valid for 90 days.Visit our Marriage Licenses page for more information.

Q: How do I find a Justice of the Peace to perform a marriage ceremony?

A: Justices of the Peace are located in the yellow pages of the local directory and some also advertise in the classified section of the Keene Sentinel, Keene's local daily newspaper. Their number is (603) 352-1234.

Q: How do I get a certified copy of a birth, death, or marriage certificate?

A: The person or a member of the immediate family may obtain certified copies of a vital record. The first copy of a vital certificate is $15.00. Any subsequent certificates ordered at the same time for the same person are $10.00. Certificates may be requested in person or by mail. Visit our Vital Records page for more information.

Q: When does the City Council meet?

A: The City Council meets the first and third Thursday of every month. View our Weekly Calendar online for currently scheduled meetings.

Q: Questions about elections and voting?

A: Please go to our Election and Voting page for the most current information about upcoming elections and how to register to vote.

Q: How do I register my car?

A: In the City of Keene you register your vehicle in the Revenue Collector's Office at 3 Washington Street.  Their telephone number is (603) 357-9801

After paying registration fees, plates are obtained from the State of NH Department of Motor Vehicles on Route 9 in Keene.  Their telephone number is (603) 357-3313.  The State of NH DMV Website contains helpful information as well.

Q: How do I file Incorporation papers or Articles of Agreement?

A: You must begin the process at the State level by providing the Secretary of State's Office with 3 sets of the documents with original signatures of the founders, along with their required filing fee. The State will retain one copy for their records and return two copies to you. You will be required to file one original with the City Clerk's Office of the Town or City where the organization is based. The filing fee at the local level is $5.00. For further information regarding the State filing fee or other related questions, please visit the State of New Hampshire Secretary of State website.

Q: What types of liens are filed with the City Clerk's Office?

A: Although certain liens (including Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), State, and Federal liens) were filed at the local Clerk's Office in the past, State Law has shifted that responsibility to the Secretary of State. As of January 1, 2006, City and Town Clerks no longer accept these lien filings, including terminations and continuations. However, a search of those records may still be requested for a fee of $10.00 per search and $1.00 for each photocopy provided. For information regarding lien filings with the State, please visit the State of New Hampshire Secretaty of State website.