The City has restricted public access to City buildings to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.  MORE

Community Development

Property & Housing Safety Standards

We rely on the public to assist in identifying potential violations of the City of Keene’s Property & Housing Standards. Many of the most common complaints can be rectified with little effort. The City will investigate all complaints and determine if there is a violation, based on the Property & Housing Standards, which may or may not lead to an enforcement action. During the initial investigation, the owner may have already corrected the issue, or we may discover that there is no violation as outlined in the Standards. When reporting a potential violation, submitting your contact information will allow the Housing Inspector to provide details of the case, though you may choose to remain anonymous.

For any other violation not addressed under the Property & Housing Safety Standards, you can contact the correct department by clicking here.

To report life-threatening emergencies, call 911.

Ryan Lawliss, Housing Inspector
(603) 352-5440
Portal Home to submit a complaint or search an existing case

  • Chapter 18, Article III, Property & Housing Safety Standards

  • What information needed to report a potential violation?

    Using the link above, Portal Home to submit a complaint or search an existing case, the property location and the description of the potential violation are required information to report a complaint. If you are unsure of the specific address, please call the office to speak to staff about submitting a complaint. You can reach us Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm at (603) 352-5440.

    If the potential violation is inside a house, apartment or building, our inspector will need to speak to the resident and/or the building manager of that location to gain access for an inspection. Please note, if this complaint is for a specific apartment, the tenant must still have access to the space for an inspection to occur.

    Providing as much detail as possible and thoroughly describing any issues will aid our inspector in conducting his investigation.

    If you would like the inspector to reach out to you directly, please provide your name and best contact information, though you may choose to remain anonymous. Your name will not be listed online, but will be recorded in our database, which is public knowledge.

  • What are some potential violations to report?

    Examples of potential violations include the following:

    • A dumpster overflowing with trash
    • Unregistered/uninspected vehicles
    • Cars parked on an unapproved surface (such as on the grass)
    • Furniture, litter or debris in a yard
    • Power and/or water issues
    • Lack of heat during the winter months
    • Condition and safety of the building
  • Ways to file a potential violation

    • There are three ways to file a complaint: Call the Community Development Department (603) 352-5440
      • Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
    • Submit a complaint via our online platform
    • Make an appointment to visit us in the Community Development Department
      (located on the 4th Floor of City Hall at 3 Washington St.)
      • Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
  • Following up on a complaint

     There are two ways to follow up on a complaint:

    • Call the Community Development Department (603) 352-5440
      • Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
    • Check the status of your complaint on our online platform
  • Voluntary Inspection Passed Inspection List

© 2020 City of Keene All rights reserved.