Community Development

How to apply for a license to conduct temporary outdoor dining on private property during the state of emergency

Temporary License for Outdoor Dining on Private Property

As of May 18, 2020, restaurants are allowed to begin serving customers in outdoor dining areas in compliance with Governor Sununu’s Stay at Home Order and associated guidelines. To assist dining establishments that intend to expand outdoor dining areas or take-out operations onto areas of private property that might not otherwise be permitted by City Code (e.g. parking areas), the City has established guidelines and a process for a temporary license for Outdoor Dining on Private Property.

Temporary outdoor dining areas on private property that have not already received approval from the City should obtain an Outdoor Event License from the City Clerk in accordance with Chapter 46 of the City Code of Ordinances.

The application form and associated guidance for Temporary Outdoor Dining Areas during the COVID 19 State of Emergency are available for download below.

Inquiries and application forms should be emailed to Terri Hood, Assistant City Clerk, at

Outdoor Event License Application Materials (Guidance Information and Form) 

Guidance for drafting a plot plan using the City’s website

Drafting a Plot Plan  

Governor Sununu’s Stay at Home Order 2.0 Guidelines

© 2021 City of Keene All rights reserved.