When are dog licenses due?
A new adult dog should be licensed immediately, and a puppy can be licensed as soon as the puppy receives its first rabies shot. Dog Licenses must be renewed annually by April 30th.
what happens if I don't license my dog?
If you fail to license your dog, the Keene Police Department will issue a $25.00 civil forfeiture fine for each dog, which is due 15 days after the issued date. The fine is due in addition to any accrued license and late fees. If the forfeiture is not paid, the case will be disposed of in the Keene District Court.
To avoid receiving a notice of forfeiture, please license your dog by the April 30th deadline. If you no longer have the dog or have moved from Keene, please notify the City Clerk's Office at 603-352-0133.
Which dogs must be licensed?
All dogs living in the City of Keene, including puppies who have received their first rabies shot.
Where and how do I license my dog?
Dog licenses are issued by the City Clerk's Office located at 3 Washington Street, weekdays between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm. Remember to bring the dog's current rabies certificate and spaying/neutering certificate, if applicable.
What is the annual fee to license my dog?
- Spayed/neutered dogs and puppies under 7 months $7.50
- Male and female dogs (not spayed or neutered) $10.00
- Kennel License for 5 or more dogs $20.00
- Senior Citizens $2.00 for the first dog, fees as above for additional dogs
- Owners will be charged a late fee of $1.00 per month for each month (or partial month) during which the dog remains unlicensed, starting on June 1st. (Late fees will be assessd in addition to the license fees noted)
Click here to download a dog license application which can be mailed to the City Clerk's Office along with the other required documents and fees to license your dog.