Sewer Rates

Water and Sewer Billing Information

Your water and sewer bills are sent out four times a year, based on quarterly readings. All revenue collected through water bills remains in a special Water Fund which supports all water related activities. No property tax money is spent to support the Water Department, or is used to pay for water treatment. The water and sewer bills have two sections.

1. Both bills have a fixed fee that is based on the size meter in your house. This covers the fixed costs of the Water and Sewer divisions -- the debt service portion.

2. The bills also have a separate charge for the amount of water you use based on your water meter readings. The more water you use, the higher both bills will be. This is called the volumetric charge, and is based on the annual operating expenses of the Water and Sewer divisions.

For the sewer portion of your bill

There is no separate sewer meter, the volume of water discharged to the sewer is based on the water meter reading. Each quarter you are charged a flat rate based on the size of your water meter, and a separate volumetric charge for the gallons of water you discharge - $5.52 for every 100 cubic feet of water (about 750 gallons). For most single family homes, the sewer flat rate is $22.18. The average household in Keene discharges approximately 2,500 cubic feet of water each quarter, or about 18,700 gallons. The charge for that volume is $138. So, the average sewer bill for a single family house is approximately $152. The more water you use, the higher your sewer bill will be. There is no summer discount under this new rate structure.

Where to pay the bill


The bill can be paid in person at the Tax Collector's Office in City Hall, or mailed to 3 Washington Street, Keene, NH 03431.




Sewer: You are responsible for any repairs to your sewer service from where it connects to the main in the street all the way to the inside of your house. This includes any blockages in your sewer line. The City is responsible for the repair and maintenance of the mains in the street.  


Water and Sewer Division personnel are on call 24 hours a day to respond to emergencies, but the homeowner may be billed for the service. In an after hours emergency, call the Keene Police Department at 352-2222. During working hours, call the Public Works Department at 352-6550.