Excavation permit process
1. Contractor to submit excavation permit application to the City Engineer. All applications shall include the following:
• Sketch of excavation with existing and proposed utilities shown (map request)
• Estimates for trench length, width, and depth in feet
• Dig safe number, to obtain call 1-888-344-7233
• Traffic control plan, including map and details
• Insurance certificate, naming the City of Keene as additionally insured with no disclaimer page
• Contractor name, address, and phone number
• Estimated time of proposed excavation in days
• Signed verification of received construction specifications (booklet)
2. Weekly meeting of excavation permit application review group. To include Engineering, Highway, and
• Evaluate submitted applications
• Verify utilities, propose changes
• Estimate construction deposit
• Approve application, notify contractor with bond estimate
• Any incomplete applications will be reviewed at next group meeting unless approved by City Engineer or designee
3. Contractor to submit permit fee and construction deposit, as determined by the City Engineer, to Public Works Administration at 350 Marlboro Street facility (payable by check or money order only):
• DPW to issue permit upon receipt of payment, provided all other requirements are met
• Contractor has 72 hours before construction can begin
• Contractor must notify DPW 24 hours in advance of actual excavation at (603)352-6550
• Any modification of these items must be approved by the City Engineer in writing.
Permit applications are available here.
Please contact the Engineering Department at (603)352-6550 with any questions regarding application requirements or constructions specifications.