Keene’s downtown is the heart of the region, providing all residents access to local, county and state services. It is a central gathering place and the most visible representation of the community to visitors. With very little, easily developable, land left within the community, the downtown offers an opportunity for increased densities and expansion of a sustainable mix of uses.
Sustaining the vibrancy of downtown is vital to achieving a sustainable community because it:
- Establishes our community’s overall identity and reflects our appreciation of Keene's architectural and cultural history
- Provides convenient opportunities and options for residents and visitors to access goods, services, arts, cultural and educational resources as well as recreational opportunities
- Creates jobs and incubates small businesses
- Supports social interaction, building community spirit
- Reduces sprawl and the inefficient use of resources