The Mission of the Department of Assessment is to ensure the fair and equitable taxation of all property within the City of Keene in accordance with New Hampshire law.
- Respond to public inquiries by providing information relating to physical property characteristics, assessments, statistics, taxes, statutes, etc.
- Inspect, list and value all real property in the City
- Revise inventory annually in accordance with RSA 75:8 and caused by building permits, zoning changes, sub-divisions, mergers, variances and discovery
- Perform statistical analyses to monitor market trends and assessment equity
- Maintain property records and maps by processing real estate transfers and implementing sub-divisions and mergers
- Validate all real estate transactions to ensure that arm's length sales are used to determine market trends
- Compile data and other contributing information on every property transaction in the City to the State for the purposes of conducting an annual equalization study
- In accordance with State law, administer elderly, blind, deaf, disabled, religious, charitable and educational exemptions, tax deferrals, and veteran credits
- Administration of Current Use program
- Process appropriate timber cut forms and assess taxes accordingly
- For tax rate setting purposes, state the aggregate value of all property, taxable and non-taxable, including tax increment finance district plans
- Provide information to the Board of Assessors for the processing of property tax appeals at the local level
- Process, recommend and defend tax appeals before the Board of Tax and Land Appeals and Superior Court
- Advise the governing body of impending legislation and make appropriate recommendations for action
Dan Langille, CNHA, City Assessor
Tim Ballantine, CNHA, NHCG, Property Appraiser
Diane Stauder, Assessment Technician
Kathy Beliveau, Automation Specialist
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.